When summer comes and we hit the road, often times our eating suffers. The best way to avoid this is to plan ahead. Here are 6 tips to help you enjoy the summer and not stress what to eat. With a little forethought, your food will be satisfying and not boring. An interesting variety becomes a Healthy, Satisfying Habit that leads to our Success!
- Pack healthy snacks. Keep yourself satisfied throughout the trip to avoid getting overly hungry in between stops. Ideas:
- Protein bars, such as Kind Bars, Lara bars or my personal favorite RX bars. Keep in mind that Protein Bars should be High Protein and Low in Sugar
- Nut Mix (Limit dried fruit). Look for raw and unsalted nuts if possible
- Easy to eat Fruit like Apples and Bananas
- Beef Jerky. I buy Epic because there are no added sugars but it can be a bit spendy. Another option is Krave but you have to watch out for added sugars.
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Single Packs of Nut Butters (peanut butter, almond etc…)
- Pack Healthy Meals. This will save time, money and many unnecessary calories. Save the calories for special meals out or special gatherings. Ideas:
- Turkey (or other lean meats) Wraps and Sandwiches
- Offer to bring a dish. This way you will have something that you are sure is a Healthy Choice to fill your plate with. You will be less likely to indulge as much on the High Fat, Sugary options provided. Others will enjoy your Dish as well! Ideas:
- Veggie Tray
- Fruit Tray
- Vegetable Skewers for the grill
- Caprese appetizers
- Chicken or other Lean Meats for the grill.
- Plan ahead for Eating Out. Use your Phone to search for Restaurant options. Many Menus are even available On-line.
With a few Tasty, Healthy Options in mind, before you get there, you will feel less pressured to indulge on items that seem tempting at the moment. You will feel prepared and confident before you get there. Ideas:
- Pass on the bread basket or place it out of reach
- Ask for Butter and Sauces on the side so you can control the amount you have
- Choose a Half Portion size
- Avoid Add-ons like Fries and Chips
- Choose Broiled, Baked, and Steamed over Fried
- Limit Alcoholic Beverages. Find a low Cal Alternative to hold in your hand. The will help you to avoid reaching for the high-calorie drinks that are being passed around. Ideas:
- Glass of wine
- Stay Hydrated. You will be less likely to succumb to tempting pressures if you are hydrated. When we aren’t, we tend to feel more hungry. Ideas:
- Buy yourself a new water bottle and keep it filled and with you at all times
- Purchase one with an infuser to take your water up a notch
- Keep a Cooler Handy, Stocked with Utensils and Napkins. You’ll be able to pack some Healthy Snacks and Meals quickly. This is especially helpful if you are tired after a long day, or feeling rushed.
- Snack on one of your Healthy Snacks to avoid getting overly hungry between stops. This will help you avoid making rash decisions.
- Make a List of Healthy options for some of the Restaurants you are most likely to visit. Keep the list handy.
- Order off the kid’s menu
Eating out Guidelines:
- Keep your meal at 500 calories or less
- Choose foods that are Lower in Fat and Higher in Protein
- Try to Avoid Trans Fats and Limit Sodium
- Don’t be embarrassed to bring your Own Dressings
- Beware of the Sugar Content
- Don’t be afraid to Modify your Order
Hopefully, these suggestions will Help you to Stay on Track with your Goals, while Enjoying Life to its Fullest.