Mental toughness seems to be the biggest new phrase out there. Probably because in this ever changing world, mental toughness is a necessity to withstand the hardships and pressures we face each day.
Having mental toughness does not mean that you need to be hard core or made of steel mentally. It means being psychologically prepared to deal with a situation and the stress that may come along with it. It is how we:
- Recover from the situation
In order to do this there are going to be some key characteristics that we must have:
- Flexibility. If things are not going well, you adjust things to fix it. You may need to re-educate yourself and find a better way of doing things.
- Responsiveness. Constantly identifying the opportunities, challenges, and threats in the environment.
- Strength. Focus on giving your best and fighting to the end.
- Courage and Ethics. This involves having the courage to make the right decision and not cutting corners.
- Resiliency. When things don’t go the way we want we get right back in the game.
- Sportsmanship. We keep our chins up and continue to support others. Attacking others when things don’t go our way does not help anyone.
Having mental toughness can mean so much in our lives. It could be anything. For me it means being consistent and following through with my business plan, following through on with my Health and Fitness goals and being there for my family, whatever curve balls life may throw. But the key is we follow through with doing these things consistency.
Mental toughness does not come from motivation or willpower. It comes from small habits that we develop by being consistent.
What does mental toughness mean to you?